Friday 21 October 2011

Disaster in the kitchen

Hi to everyone!!! Have you ever tried to make a recipe and didn't go as you wanted? That's exactly what happened to me last night!! No, don't think that I have no clue of cooking! I do cook and I do make some good recipes (at least that's what my friends say) but this time was a bit different and embarassing as well.
Things wouldn't have been so bad, except that I had invited my boyfriend and his parents home to eat for dinner. Wanting to impress them (it was the 2nd time they would come home), I had decided to make oven roasted chicken with lemon potatoes. I have done it before and I have to confess I was really confident about the results. Little did I know!!! :(  
I gathered all the ingredients (or almost all the ingredients) and started making my magic in the kitchen. Unfortunatley, I soon realised I had only one lemon in the fridge,which I have to admit was pretty small and supermarkets were closed. Therefore, I took a deep breath and started making the food with only one lemon. To my surprise and horror, the lemon juice I made when I squeezed it, was only 4 drops!!!! Being in panic and not having the time (+ the ingredients) to prepare anything else, I made the recipe with the stuff I had and I put the lemon peels in the roasting pan to give a lemon taste to the food. After that, I thought I had everything under control, so I felt relaxed and ready to welcome my guests!
When they arrived, the food was ready and everything seemed perfect ( unfortunately, only seemed)!!
After we had discussed a little bit, I started serving them!!! And then it happened.... Manou's mum discreetly spit out the food and I think I heard a voice saying "what the f***" from his father. I quickly realised what was going on. To my disappointment, I started to get a bitter taste in my mouth.The food was horrible!! Especially the potatoes!! Even I couldn't eat it! I assume the lemon peels were responsible for this- maybe their liquids that were released in the oven didn't have the expected results!! But that was the least I cared about!
 I felt extremely embarrassed towards my boyfriend's parents. That time I thought : "Oh God!!! Why did this happen to me???"  I mean if this happened when I cooked for my friends, I  wouldn't care so much. But it happened while I was cooking for my boyfriend's parents. SHIT! 
My face must have turned red after that, cause Manou's mun said: Oh honey, it happens! Don't worry about this!! His father was also sympathetic towards me. Thank God my boyfriend have so great parents!! 
Manou was teasing me instead (like he always does <3) and he was asking me for some food to take home!!! :p
After what happened and having no food at home for the 3 of us to eat, we ended up eating delicious pizza that I ordered from a pizza restaurant...
All's well that ends well :)

2 comments:

Guinevere said...

At the last paragraph I wanted to say "having no food at home for the 4 (and not 3) of us to eat". Sorry for the mistake! :)

tzitziki said...

Wonderful story! :-)